Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

DIY #3 Dyed Leather.

3. DIY Dyed  Leather Shoes.
I've been dying to try leather dye.... but seriously, 
In my closest I found a ratty pair of ratty leather Michael Kors flats I didn't have the heart to throw away. They're the most comfortable shoes, super soft leather and rubber soles. I get a new pair every year because I always wear them out.


I bought Fiebings Leather Dye (light blue)  from Tandy Leather Factory  to give my old shoes a new life. After 2 coats of dye and a polish with Fiebings Leather Balm, I think they look great!  Only thing is the colour is not close to the swatch given, but it's still a pretty colour.


         Scuffed old MK's Before: (and Mookie getting his paw in there!)

Old Vs One coat of dye 
Dye was applied with the fluffy brush it came with and I used a small paint brush for the details.
I also used rubber gloves because it dyes your skin pretty well too!

 Left: 2 coats of dye and a coat of balm.  Right: 2 coats of dye without balm (is kind of purple metallic-y)
The dye on the rivets came off with a damp cloth.

 The finished product, wearable blue flats!

Swatch: The actually dye (even on white paper) is more cobalt than this. I figured it would come out a little darker on the brown leather, but I was surprised it was this Navy.

No comments:

Post a Comment